Thursday 19 June 2014

January 10th 2013 was the date for Charlies funeral.

I can honestly say I didn't want the 10th to come. For the day to arrive meant we had to say our goodbyes to Charlie. I knew he would always be with us in our hearts but I didn't want to have to say goodbye.

We were all up early, I don't think any of us actually slept very well. Carries friend had come down from Scotland a couple of days earlier to support her through the day.  We tried to keep everything as normal as possible, having breakfast and making cups of tea.

Carrie had requested that everyone wore something blue that day in Charlies memory. This colour has remained important to all of us and now is the colour that represents Charlies Charity.

The family started to arrive at Carries flat and seeing everyone wearing something blue was very emotional. When the funeral car arrived the atmosphere changed, there was a feeling of anxiousness. Carrie sat in between her mum and dad in the car with Charlie on her knee. Her three brothers, Shane, Nathan and Bradley also traveled in the car with them. Her brothers had shown such support for their sister and they all truly showed themselves to be strong men that day. Charlie must have felt very proud of his uncles.

I drove behind in my car with Carries step-dad, Clive, and some friends. The drive seemed to take quite a while but it was also not long enough, if that makes sense. I could feel my heart beating faster as we got closer to Cottingley Hall Crematorium. As we drove in I could see other family members and friends waiting for Charlies arrival.

Carries dad, Gary, carried Charlie into the chapel whilst Carrie walked with her mum, Sam, for support. She stayed so strong.

The service was a real celebration of Charlies life. Shane had found a poem that he wanted to read out and with support from his aunt he did this. The music and songs that Carrie had chosen were amazing, the words from the songs summed up how we were all feeling. The vicars words were simple but perfect. Carrie had not wanted a lot of religious content, she had wanted it more to focus on Charlies fight.

Carrie had written a letter to Charlie which was read out for her as it was too difficult for her to do it. I had tried to hold myself together, trying to be strong, but when I heard the words Carrie had written my strength dissolved. She had put down such wonderful words. It must have taken all her strength to write that letter, She wrote such an amazing tribute to her little baby boy.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Charlies-Angel-Centre.org.uk